Sunday, November 26, 2023

Seder 7: Isaiah 42---The Servant of God, Collective and Individual

 A major figure in Isaiah 41-53 is God's Servant.  In some places Isaiah uses this term collectively, to refer to the Israelites as the people of God.  For example, in Isaiah 41:8, God speaks to "Israel, my servant, Jacob, whom I have chosen, the offspring of Abraham, my friend."  When the term is used collectively, God may be pointing out Israel's shortcomings in carrying out its calling, as in Isaiah 42:19:  "Who is blind but my servant, or deaf as my messenger whom I send?  Who is blind as my dedicated one, or blind as the servant of the Lord?" 

There are also places where the term is used for a special individual, an ideal representative of Israel, as in Isaiah 42:1:  "Behold my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen, in whom my soul delights; I have put my Spirit upon him; he will bring forth justice to the nations."  

Isaiah 42:1-6 has often been interpreted messianically, as we see in the Gospels.  For example, Matthew 12:15-21 applies this passage to Jesus.  The divine voice at Jesus' baptism references Isaiah 42:1 (Mt 3:17). 

Isaiah 42:6 is also applied corporately to the work of the apostles in Acts 13:46-48.  The apostles indeed were furthering Israel's mission to be a light to the nations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Seder 24: Psalm 87---Praise to Zion, Mother of Nations

Psalm 87, a hymn of praise to Zion, may be associated with Israel's pilgrimage festivals, when people from all nations came to Jerusalem...